Our first-rate careers education helps our Sixth Formers identify how their strengths, weaknesses and interests relate to the world of work. We want every one of them to know that they own their career aspirations, plans and decisions from the outset. Pupils are supported so that they have the knowledge and confidence to go out and achieve their aspirations outside of Bancroft's.
Through a programme of activities both within and alongside the curriculum we aim to prepare our Sixth Formers for their future lives in education and work. We develop career planning together with all the employability and management skills needed to make successful transitions. We believe that effective careers education and guidance not only contributes to the well-being of individuals but raises their aspirations.
Careers provisions and university guidance for our Sixth Form includes:
Lower Sixth (Year 12) all pupils attend:
- Sixth Form transition talk
- Old Bancroftian Careers Evening
- Law Day (if applicable)
- CV and Job application enrichment lessons
- Careers Interview Day
- Competitive University Admission Workshop
- University and Careers Fair
- Apprenticeship Evening
Upper Sixth(Year 13) all pupils receive:
- UCAS application and submission advice, for application to Universities
- Mock medical, dentistry, veterinary and Oxbridge interviews if applicable
- Enrichment lessons on personal finance
- Attend the University and Careers Fair
Alongside the activities listed above, there are many other opportunities for pupils to engage in careers education throughout the school year.
- The Bancroft’s Higher Education and Careers fair is attended by Bancroft’s U4, 5th and Sixth Form pupils as well as pupils from our partnership and local state schools.
- A wide range of careers talks and events which include monthly lunchtime sessions and evening Q&As
- The Sixth Form lecture programme offers an exciting opportunity for students to listen to and question some of the leading thinkers and speakers in industry, business, the arts, the charity sector and more.
- One-to-one sessions can be arranged with the Head of Careers to provide impartial guidance, exploring feasible options in higher education, careers, gap years, internships, and apprenticeships.
- Medics group for those hoping to read Medicience, dentristry or Vet Sciences.
- Access to Unifrog platform to explore University courses and Apprenticeships